Here today to bring you my take on Tim's July tag and this month I have dared to be different. I have made quite a few seahorse projects recently and so I decided to follow the techniques Tim showed us but using the lovely new Layered Bee rather than the Seahorse. You can see Tim's original and step by step HERE but this is my version.
Well I did say It was different! I think he is the Bees Knees! (thus the title of the post) and if you want to grab yourself a brew, I can take you through the make up of the elements.
Firstly I coloured a tag exactly how Tim explains in his tutorial, I just used different colours of paint and stains. I cut the bee and the honeycomb from card and a pair of wings from shrink plastic. I also ran a piece of thin acetate through the big shot with 2 die cut honeycombs to get the honeycomb imprint onto it and cut it to the shape I wanted
As Tim did with his dragonfly, I coloured the bee with distress paint (mustard seed & black soot) I was a bit messy getting the paint on the wings but these were going to be cut off so it did not matter.
When the paint was thoroughly dry, I embossed the bee with the folder
Then using a piece of cut n dry and BS paint I carefully picked up the embossed areas
Then I decided to mask off the legs and paint them again so they were wet enough to hold the frosted Chrystal antiquities. I then heat set it with a heat tool
I gave the whole of the body part of the bee a coat of rock candy crackle paint
I gave my embossed wings a dab of stonewashed alcohol ink
Edged them with a permanent black marker and then stapled them together with my tiny attacher
Then attached them to my bee on the back.
The acetate honeycomb got a coat of butterscotch alcohol ink. I put it onto the white card just so you could see it on the photo better, and I liked the fact it showed the pattern of the ink up more so I decided to keep it that way. I glued it onto the white card and cut around it.
I painted the honeycomb with scattered straw distress paint and sprinkled it lightly with antique linen embossing powder (as Tim did with his sand dollar)
I ran around the edges with a distress pen and glued the honeycombs together
Next I mixed the 'sand' or in this case the beeswax and used my finger to poke it into a couple of the honeycomb gaps. I glued the honeycomb to the tag and mixed a little more of the sand mixture to add some detail and soften of the edges. I shaped my bee a little and used 3d pads to attach him to the tag.
Here are a few close up photo's (I know you like them!) to see the detail better. Here we see the detail of the wings and honeycomb centres
Crackled bee and textured legs
Exhibit No 07 for July of course stamped with potting soil archival onto distressed card stock.
Not forgetting my little atc for July. The Bee has been die-cut from white shrink plastic, coloured in and shrunk down (Carefully!) he is so sweet! you can also see sandy (waxy!) corners.
All the stamps used on the atc are from the classics no. 12 set. the honeycomb here was stamped using antique linen dp and had ep sprinkled over.
and of course could not let you go without your monthly view of the atc display very pink and yellow may I add, I might see if I can get a touch of blues & greens in there next month.
One last look at the tag
Thank you for your visit (if you are still with me that is!) hope you enjoyed the step by step