Monday 20 May 2013

A little bit of Bump

Hello Everyone,

As you can see I am on a roll now with my posting, and wanted to show you another project I had started on my desk last week and is now finished.
As you know I had a trip to Port Sunlight with Anne last week and we spent quite a while watching the very talented Leandra from Paper Artsy 



demonstrating the Bump technique.  I thought I must have a go at that and this is  my first attempt.

Using a few of my new goodies I got from the show, I set about altering a plain papier mache wall hanging.  First I give it a good coat of gesso, (then I decided I was going to add texture paste and a few other bits so I needn't have done that!) So - on went the texture paste through a leaf swirl mask from Imagination crafts and I glued on a few punched butterflies and book page pieces. When dry I gave it a second coat of gesso.  I have quite a good collection of eco-paints and I used a mixture of Ocean/Lake & Olive I also used an artiste one - Lagoon, and Fresco Beach Hut & Hey Presto.  I used cut n dry to blend the colours together for the background,  this did take quite a while to do to get it how I wanted it.  I gently sanded back the edges and some of the textured leaf swirl to bring someof the white through again.  Using my new TCW Mini Bingo mask I dabbed through with the Lagoon acrylic paint and let it dry.  Next I placed the bingo mask back over where I had it originally and moved it a fraction to the right and down, I used white eco-paint  to dab through again and this now became the top colour with the turquoise creating the shadow.   I love this technique.
I used a set JOFYstamps (set09) to stamp my flowers, leaf, and circles in archival black, then painted them with Hey Pesto & Beach Hut Translucent Fresco paints plus white eco-paint.
A little tickle of treasure brass on the edges, the ivy and  the butterflies and it was done.  I added a couple of ribbons to the string to pretty it up a bit.  I decided not to put any sentiments on it, as I like it as it is.  I really enjoyed making this and am looking forward to doing another one.     Hope you like it too.
Thanks for visiting,
Hugs
Mo x

9 comments:

  1. Beautifully done!! I don't feel EVERYTHING needs a sentiment, sometimes the art needs to speak for it's self, and this one does. LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I'm like you, debating whether or not to add a sentiment. Just had the same problem with my last canvas. http://messymixedmediabyfrea.blogspot.nl/2013/05/a-canvas-and-i-need-your-opinion-does.html I must agree with Krisha though, is really doesn't need one, I love the way this one turned out. Great job! Hugs Frea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mo, you have done a fabulous job on this, I think Leandra would be very impressed! Love the subtle colour in the background, the bumping technique you used and of course the butterflies and they way you got the little circles in too. Like Krisha and Frea I don't think it needs a sentiment either, it is so lovely without. Love it. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mo
    This is wonderful and clearly really good fun too,
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mo! A lovely piece of work. I love the subtle colours and the texture. It must have been fun going to Port Sunlight and watching Leandra demoing. I'm really enjoying 'catching up' on your beautiful posts. I agree that this doesn't need a sentiment; it's smashing as it is. The gauzy ribbons finish it off perfectly. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum... I love everything about this hanging, Mo: gorgeous colours in the background, fab gilded texture on the butterflies; love the stencil bumping and the colouring on the JOFY flower, and especially the subtle sanding to create that shabby distressed look - brilliant!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous piece of art... Love the colours & fabulous texture... The Jofy flower is Brilliant... I bought this set too but still have not used them.... work gets in the way sometimes... thank you for the inspiration... Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mo
    You girls are so inventive with your crafting. Congratulations on learning a new technique.
    The builders use scrim when they are plastering it acts as a joint strengthener. Window cleaners use it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just spotted this Mo and had to comment. Your bumping is fantastic and the stencilling works really well for adding more interest. Great work. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete