Monday 21 July 2014

Seahorse Frenzy

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are getting chance to enjoy some of the lovely weather we are enjoying. 
Today I wanted to show you a card and gift I made for a very special person for her birthday last weekend (no prizes for guessing who it is, the initial gives the game away).  This person loves Seahorses, and so I thought she would appreciate the Seahorse theme I followed throughout.


The background for the card and the gift box  was made using a weathered wood technique showcased by another special and very talented lady Jenny  on the frilly & funkie blog a couple of weeks back click Here for her brilliant tutorial. 



 
 
 I won't bore you with the make up of the seahorse on this post as the make up is the same as I used on my Get some Texture project which can be found Here 
 The initial had a little sprinkle of Vintage Photo embossing powder to rust it up, the sentiments were stamped onto shrink plastic and the little bottle had distress crackle painted on it, coloured with alcohol inks and filled with bedazzles. 
 
 
 
 I bought a little Seahorse necklace and decided to make a special gift box for it that sort of followed the theme.  Again you can see Jenny's technique used here but this time the last stage with the Distress paint was done which gave it a completely different look.  The ribbon was just dipped into stains on my craft mat, dried and stamped over with black archival.  The little prawn rock was one of four I picked up at a car boot sale for 10p, it just suited the look of the box and held the ribbon in place.
 
On opening the box you can see my little gift, and you can also see that I did the inside as I did the card leaving the last paint effect off giving a much lighter contrasting look.
  
 
You can see how the middle of the box lifts out.  This was just the square that was cut out from the frame and paint added.
 

 
This photo shows how I attached a little pocket to the back of the lift out card to house the chain
 

 
And this shows the gift box empty
 

 
I could not find any nice wrapping paper for the gifts which followed the theme, so, I decided to make my own with the Blueprints set using different colours of archival inks.
 

 
I also made a gift bag to match
 

Did you guess who the recipient was? of course it was my adopted big sis and best friend Anne.  She was happy to let me show off her gifts, card and wrapping, and we both thought it would give some inspiration to have a go. I believe it was Jenny's birthday last weekend too, so happy birthday Jenny.  Why not pop over to her tutorial and have a go at this lovely weathered wood technique. Anne also gave a run down of how to make a gift box like this earlier this year on This Post.  My Gift box  is made exactly the same way, but I just adjusted the measurements to fit the gift.
Thank you so much for your visit
Mo x 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you again a thousand times over for my beautiful card and necklace which, as you know, I loved lots and lots! You certainly did Jenny's technique justice and I am definitely going to try that one out, it looks amazing. Thank you again my dear and special adopted sister! Big hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mo what a stunning project and super gift for Anne! I adore every bit of it. Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous gift, the weathered wood is just lovely and love all the little details. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mo this is all so incredible! That box has taken weathered wood to a whole new level and is the perfect place to house the beautiful seahorse necklace. And that card! The seahorse with the speckles of stencilled paste and the collection of rusted trinkets on the pin are a joy to behold. Seriously - this is outstanding!!! I'm so glad our special friend Anne is the recipient of all this brilliance as it will be treasured. Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. what beautiful creative projects Mo! Just saw it on Anne's blog - and I can see she is thrilled with your thoughtful gifts! that box is just lovely with it's barnboard look and hollowed out center - your cover is wonderful and you even made matching wrapping paper and bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your makes are absolutely special Mo and I know that Anne will treasure them. I love the technique by Jenny and the wonderful colours you have used. TFS and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply stunning - lucky Anne owning such a work of art... I'm pretty much in awe of this one!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete