Friday 3 June 2016

A stitch in Time Step by Step

Hi Everyone,

Firstly can I Thank everyone for your lovely comments on my stitch in time canvas, these are very much appreciated.  As promised I am back now with the step by step photos which show you how the elements were put together in a little more detail.  Here is a little reminder of the finished piece.
  so (or should that be sew) here we go. I gathered a collection of eclectic elements fabrics  and mount board plus the Bigz sewing room die
 Cut strips of fabric approx 1" wide and stitched them together then gathered them at one end.  The manikin was die cut from mount board plus I die cut the upper body part from a piece of linen.
 I was not sure how much of the manikin would be on show so I used walnut stain distress paint to cover the wooden parts followed by over-stamping with potting soil archival ink and a wood grain stamp.
 I sewed a strip of rose lace to the hem of the skirt (you may notice I have shortened the skirt a little too)
 Added a waist band
 and then wrapped some rose lace around the bodice to form the top of the dress to match the bottom
 Back out with the mount board to cut a window. I cut each of the four panes into four smaller pieces
 I wrapped strips of material around the smaller pieces to make mini material rolls.
I cut four extra windows so I could glue them together to make a desk.  You can see I have used different colours of mount board but as I was painting them this did not matter.  To make the desk shape from the window I have just cut off the bottom sill and the two vertical strips in the centre.  
The sewing desk was given the same treatment as the manikin with the paint and wood grain stamp. I glued the rolls of material together into two bundles of 8 and because the were from the original window panes the fitted perfect side by side on the table shelf. 
 More materials gathered, Tim Holtz dapper pad and Indigo blu stamp sets 'In Stitches' and 
'Sewing mends the soul'
 I cut four strips approx 4cm wide from a sheet of Dapper paper
 and glued each one around the edges over lapping slightly
 Another sheet of Dapper paper was cut to the size of the canvas, machine stitched around the edges. I distressed  the edges with a distressing tool plus rolled them in a little more to reveal more of the paper underneath. Finally I stamped in the corners with the sewing pattern stamp from the 'In Stitches' stamp set using Potting soil archival
 The sewing machine is from the 'sewing mends the soul set and was stamped onto matching paper with Jet black archival and embossed with black embossing powder.  I fussy cut around the machine and made a little slit near where the needle is so I could slide a small piece of stitched material under it.  I part wish I had cut the centre of the machine out but was worried it would make it to unstable to hold the material.
 I gathered up a few of my scraps where I had been testing different machine stitches and placed them under the dress so you could see it better against the background.  In the finished piece you may notice I place a darker piece of burlap under the top so it stood out better.
I collected a few of the tiny scraps up from my desk and glued them to the bottom of the sewing table, after all we all have scraps on the floor when we are crafting don't we??
For more photos of the finished canvas click Here to visit my last post.
Thank you as always for your visit today, I hope you have enjoyed .
Mo x


5 comments:

  1. How lovely to see all your stages on this gorgeous sewing project.
    Have a lovely weekend, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - thanks for sharing how you created this! love the sewing table with the fabrics folded up on it - and the material in the machine being sewed - your wonderful dress with the roses bodice - super creative project Mo! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is even more stunning now I look at it in more detail Mo - I want that dress - can you make a big one???? Beautiful work - such a clever piece xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliantly conceived and created, thanks for sharing the process steps to see how it all came together, I really do adore that table and stacked fabric bales xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously brilliant Mo! Especially love your inventiveness with both that fabulous dress and making that window into a chair! Genius! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete